Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Beloved Koda

My Koda Bean unexpectedly passed away this morning. We aren't sure what was wrong with him. A few weeks ago Koda fell in our window well but he was fine...he was acting completely normal, so we didn't take him the the vet. A week later we noticed a bump on his bum which we assumed was from falling in the window well. Again, he was acting normal and the bump didn't bother him at all. The bump at first was hard, and after a while the bump started going down and getting soft. Since it wasn't bothering him and it seemed to be healing we didn't take him to the vet. Koda also had been having seizures off and on...but they weren't consistent. So we aren't sure if that was what caused him to pass. Yesterday was the only day that Koda started to act abnormally. He started acting sluggish and walking slow with his head down, but he didn't start doing that till later in the day. We don't think he went to the bathroom all day and he didn't want to eat or drink anything. However, before we went to bed Troy was able to get him to stand up and he drank water for about 3 minutes straight...I'm sure he was way thirsty! By the time we thought we should take him to the vet, it was too late and they had already closed. We were going to take him first thing this morning but it was too late by then. Koda started breathing abnormally at  7 am and was just laying in our bathroom. I had to go feed Stella and a few minutes later Troy called me in and said Koda stopped breathing. He was gone and I was devistated. I just started bawling and laid next to him... I was heartbroken! I feel so guilty because I knew we should have taken him to the after hours vet last night, but we didn't think he was this sick to pass away. I just wish we would have taken him to the vet when we noticed the bump on his bum and then maybe the vet would have found whatever made him pass away. I'm trying not to blame myself but it's hard when you feel like you could have done more to save him. At the same time, even if we would have taken him last night it may have been to late to do anything anyway. I guess we'll never know.
I'm going to miss Koda so much. He was the sweetest dog and I know he loved me. He loved to cuddle with me and lay in my lap. He was the best dog anyone could ever ask for and I will always love him. He was a part of our family and will truely be missed.
Goodbye Koda...I love you.

3 comments:

Hone Family as in Ryan and Ashley said...

Oh Mandy! I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what it's like to loose a pet like Koda. You're in my thoughts.

Tami said...

I'm so sorry! It is so hard to loose a pet!

jasperson family said...

I am so sorry Mandy, your post made me cry. I remember when you were so excited to get him. We have had a couple scares with our dogs. You never know if you should take them in to be checked so don't blame yourself. If you need someone to talk to you can always call me.